Fox Business wrote an article including general rules to follow, as well as when to buy tickets if you’re planning to travel during certain times of the year.
Here are some of the general rules to keep in mind when looking to get the best airfare rates:
1. Shop on Tuesday mornings. The fare sales are often launched on Monday nights, so other airlines have matched prices already by Tuesday morning.
2. Search how full your flight is. You can tell how full your flight is by starting to buy tickets online and when you “choose your seat” you’ll be able to see how many seats are taken already.
3. Remember it’s a gamble. When in doubt, booking earlier is always safer. If you wait, fares could go up or down, and usually they go up more than they go down.
4. Use online tools. Kayak is a great source to look at your flight options and they also offer a fare chart so you can see the trends in ticket prices.
5. Follow airlines. Sometimes airlines promote one-hour sales on social media, so it’s a good idea to follow an airline if you want access to some of the best deals.
6. Consider a destination serviced by low-cost carriers. Other carriers like Southwest and Allegiant offer great rates, but you have to check their sites directly for rates!
The article goes into further detail about how to get the best airfare if you are not traveling during holidays, and during certain seasons. Be sure to keep these general tips in mind when trying to find the best travel deals.